Pay attention and you will notice something.
It is a tendency that happens after we make a decision.
As we are presented with more information, each “bit” will nudge us more towards a more extreme position.
Eventually, we’ll be quite certain of our righteousness.
If we pause then we may be able to see a reality containing some grey areas.
To see things as they are, I try to keep myself in the middle by…
- Being cautious about public statements
- Exposing myself to good people who disagree with me
- Practicing not offering an opinion
- Explaining both sides on an issue when asked for my opinion
How to practice?
- Start by seeing the tendency in “their” actions and statements
- Then see the tendency in “our” actions and statements
- Then see the tendency in “my” actions and statements
Ultimately, you may be able to feel the tendency as it arises inside you.
When I feel the tendency, I pause before acting on it.
Can you feel your discriminating mind?
I feel it in my heart.
You must be logged in to post a comment.