I think best when walking in nature so I climbed South Boulder Peak and asked myself “what if.” I came up with the following list:
- Race the Tour of the Dragon in Bhutan
- Nepal – Hike the Annapurna Circuit
- Tibet – Pilgrimage to Mount Kailash
- Hole in the Rock – Lake Powell
- Sail the Atlantic (Canaries to Caribbean)
- Cruise to Alaska
- Cruise Micronesia
Knowing that my desiring mind isn’t the most reliable adviser for personal happiness, I stepped outside of the specifics to consider the deeper urges. I noticed…
- Remote mountain biking and hiking
- Mountains, forest and water
Maybe I should tap out everything that’s an easy drive from home, before spending a fortune in airfare and crossing dozens of time zones? Maybe I ended up in Boulder for a reason… 🙂
It’s a lesson that I’ve shared with many aspiring athletes. Until you can win every race within a 90 minute drive from home, you should only travel to access great training.
Here in the Rockies, there’s a lot of good stuff that’s within 90 minutes and getting there doesn’t stress my family, or my budget.
What drives your list?