The Lactate Thread on Twitter is my most widely shared content of 2022.
Keeping the ball rolling, I pulled together a presentation for you.
The theme of the presentation is faster gains from working smarter.
Working smarter gives you more energy…
- to use for your higher intensity sessions
- to recover faster
- to put towards the rest of your program
There are four questions I address:
- What’s too easy?
- What’s too hard?
- Where’s my Easy Zone, 1?
- Where’s my Steady Zone, 2?
[1:25] Showing lactate turn point on a sample test
[3:08] Secondary Goals
EC Lab Protocols Document, referenced in video
[5:45] Before Starting – importance of hygiene and baseline <=1.5 mmol
[7:26] Self-Testing Protocol – submax testing (longer & smaller steps)
[9:19] Getting Great Data
[11:05] Bike Case Study
[14:58] Run Case Study & Considerations for Fasted Testing
Remember, lactate is one of several tools to guide smart training.
Smart Training is:
- Approximately correct – precision is an illusion
- Learning from inevitable errors – change slowly
- Persisting over time – consistency as protocol
I hope this presentation helps you to iterate towards better.