What is something most people think is important that I can skip entirely?
Most of the debate between exercise experts occurs with respect to the Severe Domain, high intensity exercise.
Energy spent entering this debate is WASTED.
As a new athlete, it’s 1% of your training load.
- Stamina – Moderate Domain, Zone 1 & 2 Training
- Strength – Hills, lower cadence work, power-to-weight
- Quickness – your best technique, quickly, briefly
What is something important to your daily routine you wish you started earlier?
- Heart Rate Variability – we are CLUELESS with respect to our baseline stress
- Early to rise – the last two hours of the day are the least productive
- Always sober – reality is enough for me
- Train first thing – one positive step, daily
What channels led to the building of your highest quality relationships?
I’ve lived an open life and shared my experience online. This attracted a wide range of interesting people, and opportunities.
One aspect of my coaching business was training camps. These camps were not vacations. They were created to put athletes in high stress situations.
The shared suffering of the camps generated enduring, high quality friendships.
Here’s the filter… shared philosophy on life, willing to travel to learn, not an asshole under duress.
What is something you did differently from your peers but served you in the long run?
I defined “enough.” When I hit my number at 30 yo, I left Private Equity.
At 42 yo, I was at the top of AG racing. I made a decision to shift from fame to family.
What can I expect to struggle with along the way?
Setbacks are salient. Gains are slow.
Write your wins down, daily.
Before we had Strava, I used to post my weekly training summary on my website.
We build our lives brick-by-brick.
What is something you had to unlearn to take the next step?
Soft Skills – harmony enhances every aspect of performance
Recovery – loading is the easy part
What is something you had to learn the hard way?
- Do your work, and stand back
- Let other people:
- be wrong
- have the last word
- live their lives as they see fit
- Yield – we’ve already won
Linked In This Article:
- How to Build a Training Week
- How to Allocate Intensity
- How to Add Pep to Your Program
- How to Build Your Base Period
- Getting Past Athletic Depression
- Optimized Training for Busy Professionals
- Where People in Finance Go Wrong
- Vanity & Victory – how audience capture led me astray
- Self-Hypnosis via Daily Writing
- Connect with me on Strava – I walk my talk
- Loading – it’s not just intensity we overcomplicate
- Remembering Kev – one of my all time mentors